The official website of Formula 1 revealed on Friday that McLaren’s Fernando Alonso believes “good times are coming” ahead of the first official test session in Barcelona on Monday.
The Spaniard, who will conduct testing duties for McLaren during the first and third days (Monday & Wednesday) of the four day test, also stated that his team “is stronger now than three years ago.”
— Formula 1 (@F1) February 25, 2018
McLaren announced they were cutting ties with Mercedes three years ago following their successful twenty year partnership. The Woking based team changed it’s engine supplier for the 2015 Formula 1 season to Honda, the same company that powered McLaren to four consecutive Drivers Championships between 1988 and 1991.
However, McLaren-Honda never rediscovered the same level of success; in three seasons with Honda power, the partnership failed to produce a single podium, let alone a victory.
“It’s imperative that McLaren looks to re-establish itself on the track this year,” said Executive Committee Member of the McLaren Group, Mansour Ojjeh, during the release of this year’s MCL33.
“I know just how important this car is to the team,” Alonso told media earlier this week during the same event, “and I just hope that it delivers in the way we all want it to.”
The MCL33 will be driven on track in Barcelona during two pre-season tests over the next few weeks, before making its race debut at the Australian Grand Prix on 25th of March.
With the release of the MCL33, Alonso added: ““I just want to get behind the wheel now!”